-1

Is it okay to use automotive or RV antifreeze in chillers?

Add comment

3 answers

1

Never use automotive or RV antifreeze!

Automotive anti-freeze is NOT potable and is poisonous and harmful to people if swallowed. It is also harmful to a chiller system and brewery tanks. 
 
RV Antifreeze should NOT be used even if it is food grade propylene glycol used in the potable water systems of RV's. These types of glycols are meant for seasonal protection of an RV and do not hold up over time or to the vigorous motion and temperature fluctuations put on it by a chilled glycol system. Even though it can be tempting because of its low cost, is not worth risking the integrity of your glycol system.

Use a proper mixture of inhibited propylene glycol provided or recommended by your chiller provider.
Add comment

0

Antifreeze solutions are typically toxic as well as contain cleaning agents that will ruin your pump seals and possibly other fluid contact areas that are susceptible to negative affects of having this type of fluid running through your lines and valves. 

Look for propylene glycol premix in 40% to 50% solution. 
Add comment

0

No, never use automotive or RV anti-freeze in chillers.
Add comment